Saturday, September 29, 2012

"Happier At Home" - Book Review

I am not feeling well in where i live. I dont like living so far from my family and my homeland when having children. I dont like my house, my neighborhood etc. But right now it's not like i can go anywhere. So i am working on trying to make the best of what i have, of where i'm at.
Right when i started thinking about this and "working" on my inner independent "happiness" (do not like that word...) i stumbled upon Gretchen Rubin's book "Happier at Home." After few days of hesitating - i normally avoid buying books with the word "happiness" in their title - i decided to give it a try after all.
At first I read it with a genuine thirst, i found its wit funny, clever and honest. Then I realized that this book is the emperor's new cloths: It is a big book, many pages about absolutely nothing, even the photographs are bad! The author repeats the same ideas/slogans/buzz words over and over again, double spaces her e-mail correspondences and uses other old undergraduate's tricks to thicken her empty book. As a bad student she also uses the annoying phrase "study shows" like thousands times in the "book" without, by the way, ever bringing any references to those waiting-room's magazines' "studies."  Adding to that, her clear neurosis/control mania, dubbed with the pathetic attempt to justify her negative behaviors/kill-joy, it is no wonder she is looking for happiness, but i felt more sorry for her "scolded" family.
The only good thing in the book are the quotes by others, greater thinker and writers than the author..

No comments:

Post a Comment